Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, March 16, 2012

Modified Bed Rest...

So yes, here I am...on "modified" bed rest as my doctor has deemed it.  I went to the doctor yesterday for a 34 week check-up (I'm now on the 2-week visit schedule until next time) and as soon as the nurse took my blood pressure, we knew it wasn't good. 

I had a bit of a scare at school yesterday with it being so hot (our a/c is not on yet...yes, in the 80 degree weather) and my B/P went way up.  I just didn't feel well and I was so, so, soooo swollen.  Like, kankles for the first time ever swollen. Then, I get to the doctor in the afternoon and it was still way up and I had protein in my little test cup from my bathroom visit.  As soon as I got to a cool air-conditioned room and got settled down under the fetal monitor, my B/P went back to "perfect...just lovely!" per the nurse, but that wasn't too satisfying for the doctor.  She said the fact that me being hot and my BP being so high until I get cooled down and comfortable (per laying down), is a good indicator that bed rest may be the best thing for me and little Boo.  As far as he goes, Jack is doing just wonderfully in here...she said he seems like a very content and healthy, happy baby boy, but it's his momma who needs to calm down. 

You see, a high BP combined with protein in my urine could be huge signs of preeclampsia.  Thus, she has me doing a "modified" bed rest this weekend - meaning, it's a mini-bed rest for only the weekend, and I have to lay around and do absolutely nothing.  She stressed, NOTHING. ahhhh!  Tough thing for me...seeing as how I feel there is so much to be done for Baby Jack AND I have a busy week coming up at school...AND it's March Madness...pretty much my most favorite time of the year.  I seriously LOVE it.  Also, B is out of town for a bachelor party for one of his best friends (he was B's roomie in college and was one of our groomsmen) so I am on lockdown at Bob and Suz's (my parents) instead of in the comfort of my own home. 
Then, I have to do a few things involving testing this protein that I will not divulge you in all the dirty details and go back on Monday for another NST and further checks and testing.  I also go again Friday for an ultrasound that will be growth monitoring of little man. If it turns out that I have mild preeclampsia, I will have to go on bed rest until Jackbaby comes.  If it is moderate to severe, I could have to be put on hospitalized bed rest and they will take him via c-section in 2 weeks when I hit 37 weeks.  Even if I do not have preeclampsia, I could still have to go on bed rest since it seems that is what can keep the ol BP down.

Lots of things going on and no answers yet, but we are staying optimistic and "worry-free" that resting is the best thing for Jackbaby and me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment