Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Goodies for my students

I really wanted to do something sweet for my students because every year, they become a part of me...always leaving lasting impressions on my soul and footprints on my heart.  This year, these students are no exception to that...and to be honest, many of the kids I have need more love, attention, support, encouragement, and devotion than any other group I've ever had.  Being that many have been through more heartache and suffering in 9-10 years than I could ever imagine in my 28, I try to be a positive and loving influence every day they're at school.  Each day, I greet them at the door to our classroom and every afternoon, I stand by the door again to hug them goodbye and tell them that I hope they have a great night, that I cannot wait to see them the next day, and that I love them so much.  It breaks my heart to hear several of them tell me that I am the only person that tells them that "I love you" each day.  I even had one student tell me that that is why he continues to come to school.  :(  While many push my buttons on a daily basis and test my patience more often than not, I still love them endlessly and unconditionally.

Monday, I kind of had a feeling that once I got to the doctor, I'd be put on bed rest, but I didn't tell my students because I did not want them to worry, nor did I want to lay the "big kid" language of blood pressure and tests and such on them.  I now so wish I had been more open and honest about it prior to then, because I have been worried and upset ever since that they may be feeling like I abandoned them.  I so do not want them to think or feel that!  I figured on my last day (which was supposed to be April 13th), we'd have a party and say our "goodbyes"...errrrr, "I'll be seeing yous"  and leaving on a sad, but positive note...yet with this BP stuff, no such luck.

Therefore, I have been working on some goodies and ideas for my kids so we can stay connected.  I have been with them for over 28 weeks of school and 8 weeks is a long time to be away from those precious smiles, jokes, and strong bonds we have established so I want them to know that they are ALWAYS on my mind.  First, I got the large "campfire" size marshmallows and put them on lollipop sticks and then I dunked them in chocolate candy coating.  Next, I allowed the chocolate to harden and then covered each with a very light layer of sparkle gel frosting and rolled them in silver, white, and green shimmer sugar.  Finally, I wrapped the marshmallow treats in candy wrapping, tied them with a ribbon, and attached a note on a cardstock gift tag to each that said, 'Thank you for letting me have my Mommy!  Love, Baby Jack".
Here's the treat from Baby Jack


Simple, but I wanted something meaningful!
don't know why this won't rotate?!?
The students also needed something from ME, so I bought plastic Easter eggs and some cute cardstock and wrote in permanent marker on the outside of the egg: the student's name, I love you, and Love Mrs. T.  Inside the egg, I wrote a personalized message on the cardstock to the students, telling them what I already miss most.  Finally, I bought cute little stationery greeting cards at "Michael's" that were on sale for $0.30 (can YOU believe THAT?!?  30 cents??  BARGAIN!!!) and wrote my address on the front of the envelope and a stamp attached so they can mail me a letter, or reply back to the one I plan on sending them!

We also have 3-4 times a week Skype sessions planned so we can continue to communicate and stay in touch. Also, this will allow them to see Little Boo once he comes...they are SO excited for that...they've manned a countdown on my whiteboard since I first told them I was expecting! Today, I couldn't wait until this afternoon so I called my room and asked my sub to put me on speakerphone so I could wish them "Good Luck" on their MAP tests and tell them I love them and can't wait to see them.  They were so excited, it was precious!  Now, I get to surprise them this afternoon and I CANNOT wait!!!  YAAAAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment