Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, September 12, 2011

Telling friends and family...

You may be wondering, how did we tell?!?  Those of you that know me, know that I have a hard time keeping secrets and when I know something, I'm not the best at hiding it or lying...especially when I'm so excited about it!  I mean, this REEEEAAAALLY felt like it would NEVER happen!

Abby's PARENTS:
My parents' anniversary is August 18th.  We found out we are expecting on August 14th so it was perfect to tie in the two!  Yes, my parents already have two grandchildren, but they are raising them in their house.  Thus, this has been something we've all longed for: a grandchild they will not have to raise, but will be like an actual grandchild instead of a "child" of their own.  I really could hardly wait 4 days to tell them!
So, I did not.  I made it to the 17th and then told B that I couldn't wait any longer and this was the perfect time to tell them.  Bob and Suz were heading out to dinner that night since they had soccer activities on their actual anniversary with Shawn.  I told them that they should stop by our house on their way to dinner because B and I had a present for them.  When they arrived, it was hard to contain our excitement, but I handed them a card with a sweet poem inside and the last lines said:

I'm your gift but I'll be a bit late,
8 months to be exact, April's my due date.

Mom immediately started jumping up and down and Dad of course, had the inevitable tears.  We all just danced with excitement and it was incredible :)

B's PARENTS:
Since Brad's parents do not live near us and we knew we would not be able to get a "surprise" visit to Indy in order (we haven't had ONE free weekend since APRIL...yes, APRIL), we arranged a little "Skype" session. We Skype with B's sister's family quite a bit, but not with his parents as much so we really had to get creative on the reason WHY we wanted to Skype (without giving it away), so we told them we had a new webcam we wanted to try out.  Once on, we told them we had something they needed to check out and showed them a note from Baby T that said, "Hi Mamaw and Papaw, I can't wait to meet you next Spring!  Love, your new Grandbaby".  Both immediately were beyond thrilled and we had a great time sharing our excitement!

OTHER FAMILY:
Abby's BROTHER, Zach and Brad's SISTER, Christi, and her family: Joe, Spencer, and Jillian:
Zach ("Bub") lives in China so telling him was either over the phone or on Skype.  I did not want to just tell him over the phone, but we kept missing each other and it's hard to get on schedule with him since he is 12 hours ahead of us AND the Chinese government has such a block on many websites and forms of communication we use so frequently.  Finally, as I was driving home from a wedding shower for our friends, Lucy and Shane, he called.  I answered the phone, "Hi Uncle Roo!" which is what Cathryn and Shawn (our niece and nephew) call him, to which he replied, "Hi, Aunt B!".  I then asked him if he heard me correctly and then he said, "wait, what?  Are you pregnant?!?" and I happily replied, "YESSSSSS!!!".  We Skyped for a few hours after that!

We also told Brad's sister, Christi, her husband Joe, and their two kids Spencer and Jillian over Skype as well with a note similar to the one we had for B's parents.  We are so excited that Christi and Joe will finally have a niece or nephew and Spencer and Jillian will have a little cousin!

CATHRYN: 
Cathryn may be our niece (my sister's child), but she is more like a little sister to me.  She absolutely has my heart...there is nothing I would not do for her, and sharing in this joy is something we've longed to experience together because we know that my children will be more like HER niece or nephew.  Thus, I could not wait to tell her, so I headed to my mom and dad's house early one morning when I knew she'd still be in bed.  I made a sign that said, "GOOD MORNING, AUNT PRISS!" and set it on the pillow next to one she was laying on (Prissy or "Priss" is my name for her).  She rolled over, saw the sign, and then rolled back over to which I said, "hey, did you even READ the sign?!?"  Of course she then read it and took in what it said, and excitedly exclaimed, "wait, are you pregnant?!?"  I shook my head yes and we screamed and cheered together.  It was the most perfect moment and I will never forget it.  It was special.  It was genuine.  It was perfect.

FRIENDS:
My best friend, Beth and her husband Kody were the absolute first people we told.  It just happened and I couldn't keep it in.  Monday, the 15th (yes, the day after we found out), B and I were heading to the UK Pros vs. the Dominican Republic Nationals basketball game at Rupp and we were meeting up with them first. As soon as I saw them, I just let it out, "You're going to be an aunt and uncle!!!"  They just looked at me rather funny like, "duh, we know" because Beth had just told me on the phone about her sister expecting as well.  I then sensed they did not get what I was saying so I said, "I'M PREGNANT TOO!".  Thus, the cat was out of the bag and not in the way in which I always thought I'd tell her!  I have always seen myself preparing something very cute and special, but I just couldn't keep a secret from them!!
College Friends:
My BFF and former roommate from college, Katie, is getting married.  Her bachelorette party had been planned for months and months to be on August 27th and I was so excited about going!!!  However, that was 2 weeks after we found out and nausea and extreme fatigue hit me with the "hotness" and I knew I would not be able to make it.  Also, I knew I'd be keeping this HUMUNGO secret and it would be super tough...not to mention, I'd seem like a party-pooper and would have to keep explaining that I wasn't feeling well to everyone since I obviously would not be my typical "full-throttle" big partying self.  I also certainly DID NOT want anything to be focused on me because it was Katie's time (not mine) so I made the gut-wrenching decision to not go.  I was just going to tell them that I'd been feeling lousy, but I knew that this would be 'no dice' and these girls would see right through me.  Katie saw through me before I could even tell her and sent me a message asking why I wasn't going.  I knew then, I HAD to tell her...so I called her and it went GREAT!  I HATED missing her special time though!  The other girls soon noticed I was not going either so I also let my friends, Lo, Beef, and Leenie know!
Old friends:
Lucy just got married this past weekend (9.10.11) and B and I were both in the wedding.  I KNEW I could NOT keep a secret from Lucy, much less pass off not participating in all of the "spirits" throughout the wedding weekend, so I also made her a card with a poem inside, tell her that I was her early birthday present, that would be a bit late.  She said, she already knew...she just had a feeling!  Crazy, huh?!?


Brad told a few close friends as well and all were incredibly happy for us.  We just feel so thrilled that so many of you are sharing in our joy with us!  We know Baby T is going to be incredibly blessed to have everyone in his/her lives and Brad and I are so fortunate to call you our loved ones!!!  Thank you everyone for being YOU!  WE LOVE YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment