Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, September 21, 2012

I'm the busiest I've ever been...

...but life is an amazing thing :)

Let's get down to it because let's be serious, it's not like I have much time to spare.  HA!
Y'all, this working momma thing is NO joke.  It is NO joke whatsoever.  Let me be clear, this is NOT a bitchfest...not even close; it's merely me filling you in on the life of these terrifically Thomases.  Up until mid-August, I had pretty much resided myself to not having a teaching job for this year and getting to fulfill my desires of being a stay at home mommy.  Well, health insurance (or lack thereof) didn't really get that memo.  Boo.  Fast forward A WEEKEND and I was accepting a job.  In Georgetown.  At a school I adore, nonetheless, but still, in Georgetown.  Ahhh!  In that ONE weekend, life as we knew it changed.  Was I prepared?  Um...NAH.  I'd like to say that I was, but let's be serious, I was a hot mess.  Still am...buuuut, that's besides the point.  You can stop shaking your head, yes, to that now.

I didn't just dip my toes in the water, per say...I DOVE in head first and have been treading water to stay afloat ever since. Sidenote, do you love metaphors on Friday evenings?!?  Anywho, moving on.  With me, still?
A day in the life of ol' Abby B T involves me getting up every weekday, at 5:30a.m. to pump and get myself beautified (or get the stank off in some capacity, at least) and then Jack's stuff ready for the day.  Jack stays in bed while his Daddy gets ready for work, so no Mommy/ precious boy time there.  Wahhh.  I have to leave Lex by 6:50 at the latest to have plenty of time to make it to my school by 7:15.  Brad then takes Jack to Bob and Suz's (my parents' house) in Winchester and then drives himself back over to Lex to his branch off of Nicholasville Road.  After school, I leave Georgetown and drive to Winchester to get my boy.  Even if I leave school around 3, I still don't get back to my house in Lex until at least 4:30.  As soon as I get home, it is Jack's eating time and then Mommy's pumping time which coincidentally, is a whole other ordeal (apparently, my ta-tas are none too impressed with my new hectic lifestyle and stress and have gone a little melodramatic on me...but like I said, that's a different story, different day) and then Jack has playtime.  By this point in the evening, it is past dinner preparing time.  Jack then plays, we eat, and then it's bedtime for him...but wait, where's my playtime with him?!?

even Jackbaby is exhausted thinking about Mommy's day!  HA!
Yea, while it's not much during the week, I do appreciate every single second with him even more so now, if that was even possible.  He hasn't been having much of Daddy putting him to bed lately so Mama has been doing it every night...but not that I'm complaining, I could hold him sleeping all night...literally.  More one-on-one time and I love, love, looooove it.  Needless to say, after he's down, this mommy is down. for. the. count too.  Yet, some lingering nuisance remains...did I mention I'm also in the midst of my master's?!?  Yes, this procrastinator cannot hide anymore!  Yikes.  I have a few classes that require MUCH of my time as well.  EEEE!  Thus, at this point, I am summoning energy from every last part of my soul.  It isn't always easy, but I think of the end result and the benefits for my child and somehow the energy is mustered for me to burn the midnight oil.  I go to bed exhausted...then rinse and repeat.

I've never felt like a worse mother at points for the lack of time I get to spend with my sweet babe during the week, but then, I've also never felt like a worse teacher for the lack of time I get to spend with my materials and lesson planning during the week too.  It's a never ending cycle of guilt, I tell ya!  Thank goodness for an amazing support system I have in my family and friends!  And thank goodness for an extraordinary school with fantabulously supportive, nonjudgmental, understanding teammates, and a principal I actually LIKE and RESPECT who values family and his staff and their families and isn't on a power trip out "to get people"!

None of this goes without saying though, that while YES, I AM the busiest I have been in a long, long time, I would not trade this life for anything!  My family, my job, my colleagues, my friends, make it all worthwhile. I may be stressed and may feel overwhelmed at times, but I DO love this crazy tragic, sometimes almost magic, awful beautiful life:)  Do you?!?

How could I not love this life with this beautiful babe to come home to?!?



No comments:

Post a Comment